Saturday, September 25, 2010

First Baby Pictures!




Now four days old, all six of Mod Daeng's babies are gaining and thriving. They all weigh well over 100 grams, the biggest 130+ grams. It's still a bit hard to be sure about the colors, though some are definitely darker and look sable to me. Whether it's two or three or four sables, only time and perhaps genetic testing will tell.

Mod Daeng is a fantastic mom, she is keeping them immaculately clean and seems to have plenty of milk. I've not had to supplement or worry about anything. She's a bit less protective now, allowing me to handle them more and take photos. They are hard to capture as they are either asleep or squirming to get at the milk bar. And the "teat wars," as I call it, have begun, where they have their favorites and "fight" each other to get to the teat they want. But pretty soon they settle down and everyone's quietly suckling.

I've never had a litter of six or more when I didn't have to supplement at least one of the kittens. You probably could tell that by the list of supplies I had on hand before the birth. The ease of this birth, the natural maternal instincts that Mod Daeng has, the size of the litter and the vigor of the kittens -- I have been told that these are all benefits of genetic diversity. I must say that, as a breeder, it is a wonderful thing to experience!

4 comments: