Friday, December 31, 2010

Newsflash - the CFA BC Votes are In!

I am thrilled to report that members of the Cat Fanciers Association (CFA) Burmese Breed Council have approved registering Mod Daeng in CFA! They also approved reducing the number of generations from eight to five before Burmese can be brought into CFA from other registries. This will allow us to use lines from European Burmese in fewer generations than previously, which will also help with our plans for outcrossing and increasing genetic diversity.

The next step for both these measures will be final approval by the CFA Board of Directors at their February meeting. Fingers crossed, though I have heard that many board members are sympathetic to these changes which is wonderful.

I look forward to registering Mod Daeng's four sable offspring in CFA and then I will try to get winners ribbons for at least one of the little guys. That will be fun! Even if I can't get the winners ribbons it will be a chance to show Mod Daeng's offspring to judges. The one with the best confirmation has a tiny tail fault, but thankfully the CFA Breed Council last year voted to change the tail fault language from disqualify to penalize. Therefore I think my chances of getting winners ribbons are good, going beyond that would be unlikely but that's fine. We'll see what the next generation looks like!

I will be able to register the four boys in TICA as well, though I can't show them, unfortunately. TICA has a different system and because the Burmese breed is a Category 1 (established) breed, it requires more effort to bring in imports and offspring cannot be shown for four generations. I hope that can be changed as our breed definitely needs these imports to help us gain greater health and genetic diversity.

It is New Year's Eve and a rainy, lazy morning on the Big Island of Hawaii. This is our last day here before flying home tomorrow. Re-entry into the "real world" will be tough. But I am looking forward to seeing my kitties and telling Mod Daeng and her babies the good news, LOL.

Happy New Year to everyone -- and may this new year bring you health, prosperity, and lots of Burmese purrs! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment